Here are a variety of links and activities to support Year 5 pupils and parents when learning at home. Keep checking this page, as it’ll be regularly updated with videos and new activities (also, keep checking MyMaths, Spelling Shed and Purple Mash for new tasks).
If you have any queries or requests, please contact Miss Griffiths at firstname.lastname@example.org (weekdays between 8.30am-3pm). If you want any photos or work from home displayed on this page, Miss Griffiths would love to see it and place it in the section at the bottom of this page.
The White Rose Home learning website contains daily lessons (with videos and tasks) covering the scheme of work we follow in school. https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/ Some of the videos below may also help.
My Maths homework website: https://login.mymaths.co.uk/ (there are lots of tasks set on here and if you get stuck there are also online lessons linked to each task)
Maths Shed (log into your Spelling Shed account, I have set games to practise the key skills of negative numbers, mutliplying by 10, 100 and 1000 and column addition and subtraction).
Timestable Rockstars website: https://play.ttrockstars.com/ (I have set trickier levels for those of you who have been getting high scores – e.g. x25, x30)
Hit The Button game (rapid recall of Maths facts): https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button
See the list below for links to more Maths videos:
- Fractions playlist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcHHhd6HizI&list=PLZXaB-dpg4g3i2DEcNeFqwn-poIfnD-i1
- Adding fractions with different denominators https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO53rHEIQr4
- Converting between decimals and fractions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Pz59o-dpE&list=PLZXaB-dpg4g03cgU7eOGVfz9iQkAhtK9X
Some of you have been in touch asking for some help with converting between fractions, decimals and percentages. First off, there are some facts you need to learn (see poster below) and then I’ve made a video lesson explaining the different conversions (with related worksheets underneath) – hope that helps 🙂
- Convert between decimals and percentages
- Write decimals as fractions activity sheets
- Fractions, decimals and percentages equivalents matching activity
- Converting fractions, decimals and percentages activity sheets
- Ultimate equivalent fractions, decimals and percentages challenge Converting fractions to decimals
Alan Peat sentence types (to help us use a range of punctuation and different sentence structures): Alan-Peat-sentence-type-posters
English (grammar and punctuation)
Grammar videos: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zwwp8mn
SPaG dance videos: https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/supermovers/ks2-english-collection/zmv4scw
- Free access to e-books https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/find-a-book/library-page/#
- Reading comprehension tasks
Spelling practice ideas: Word Work Activities
Spelling rule videos: https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/class-clips-video/ks2-wonderful-words/zb2dy9q
Spelling Shed homework website: https://play.edshed.com/ (you can also access Maths Shed activities using this login) – the Y5/6 list has been allocated to pupils on an ongoing basis (from 6th April, weekly spellings will be set – see this page for the new spellings each Monday)
Spellings w/c 6th April – challenge words:
- they’re/there/their worksheet (see Miss Griffiths’ lesson below)
- Dr Chips’ Daily Dose of Science, Engineering & Technology activities to try at home https://drchips.weebly.com/#
- WOW Primary Science activities and links https://wowscience.co.uk/
- KS2 Dyson engineering challenge cards
- Ideas for exercising https://www.nhs.uk/change4life/activities
- BBC Supermovers https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/supermovers
- Shakespeare Brain Builder
- We have been recently learning about the Tudor Times – I have set activities about the Tudors on Purple Mash (see below for details).
- Jewish place of worship
- Design your own synagogue
- What is Hinduism? https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zh86n39/articles/zmpp92p
- Hindu Symbolism PowerPoint
- Hindu Symbolism Activity Sheet
- Places of worship: lesson on Hindu mandirs
Pupils can access Purple Mash at https://www.purplemash.com/sch/ashgreen-st4 using their normal log-ins (if you need this, please email Miss Griffiths). There are set activities on there, but pupils can also access all other activities. I have set activities covering a range of subjects.
- Countries Around the World game
- Continents of the World powerpoint
- Oceans of the World powerpoint
- Time Zones powerpoint & Time Zones question sheet
To sing along to the songs from this year’s Young Voices concert, follow this link: https://www.st-barts.bolton.sch.uk/young-voices-2020/
(Please note that if parents wish to buy the DVD of the concert, they must do so via the Young Voices website.)
What the fabulous Year 5 pupils have been doing at home…