Maths is a core subject and is taught discretely. However, where relevant, Maths is linked to other subjects.
Our Maths curriculum:
- has number at its heart – a large proportion of time is spent reinforcing number to build competency
- ensures teachers stay in the required key stage and support the ideal of depth before breadth
- provides plenty of opportunities to build reasoning and problem solving elements into the curriculum.
The documents below show the curriculum content to be covered in each year group:
These policies detail the strategies we use to teach the different operations in each year group:
Abacus Maths Homework
In order to support the teaching and learning of Mathematics in school we have purchased the Abacus Maths programme. It is a toolkit that has been written for the new Primary Maths Curriculum.
To help children make sense of and practise their maths, Abacus provides a combination of games, interactive activities, pupil videos and pupil worksheets, focused around an interactive pupil world where your child can earn rewards and personalise their learning.
Each week you child will be allocated a homework game by their Class Teacher. There are different levels of difficulty. If the task you are allocated each week is consistently too hard or too easy then make your teacher aware of this so that they can adapt the activity.
To log into the pupil world:
- Go to www.activelearnprimary.co.uk
- Enter your login details and click “Log in”.