The use of information and communication technology is an integral part of the national curriculum and is a key skill for everyday life. Computers, tablets, programmable robots, digital and video cameras are a few of the tools that can be used to acquire, organise, store, manipulate, interpret, communicate and present information. We recognise that pupils are entitled to quality hardware and software and a structured and progressive approach to the learning of the skills needed to enable them to use it effectively.
The school believes that ICT and computing:
- Gives pupils immediate access to a rich source of materials
- Can present information in new ways which help pupils understand access and use it more readily
- Can motivate and enthuse pupils
- Can help pupils focus and concentrate
- Offers potential for effective group working
- Has the flexibility to meet the individual needs and abilities of each pupil.
As a school, we aim to:
- Provide a relevant, challenging and enjoyable curriculum for ICT and computing for all pupils
- Meet the requirements of the national curriculum programmes of study for computing
- Use computing as a tool to enhance learning throughout the curriculum
- To respond to new developments in technology
- To equip pupils with the confidence and capability to use computing throughout their later life
- To enhance learning in other areas of the curriculum using computing
- To develop the understanding of how to use computing safely and responsibly.
The national curriculum for computing (for the full national curriculum click here) aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Can understand and apply the fundamental principles of computer science, including logic, algorithms, data representation, and communication
- Can analyse problems in computational terms, and have repeated practical experience of writing computer programs in order to solve such problems
- Can evaluate and apply information technology, including new or unfamiliar technologies, analytically to solve problems
- Are responsible, competent, confident and creative users of information and communication technology.
For more details on online safety, visit out Online Safety page.